On Sunday, July 13, 2003, at 09:53 pm, Oskar wrote:

Install it if you have a lot of time. It took me week to config it and month
for rewritting scripts.

YMMV of course.

My first mod_perl installation took less than a day. If you're familiar with compiling Apache and apache modules it shouldn't take much longer than that. Tuning may take a bit longer and depends on the application.

All the code I was interesting in running under mod_perl ran immediately under Apache::Registry or Apache::PerlRun. No script rewriting necessary. This gave an immediate and significant performance boost.

The code had no automated tests so it took a couple of days to verify that it was working correctly - but that had nothing to do with mod_perl.

The time taken to rewrite scripts to be "pure" mod_perl handlers depends on the scripts themselves. If you have a good modular code it can be trivial.

Adrian