Hey Peter,

Template Toolkit rocks! (Sorry about the overt glee, but I am just
finishing a project where it has been very good to me) Besides the
complete seperation that it gives you between presentation and back-end
coding, it's super fast. I benchmarked a 2GHz server with 256 Megs of
RAM using ab (Apache bench) with around 10 concurrent requests and a
total of 10,000 requests and was able to handle over 40 hits per second
on our most dynamic page which has lots of conditionals and loops and
even does a few function calls like this [% IF sess.is_logged_in %]
where 'sess' is a perl object. NOTE: Make sure you cache your template
object in package globals or something like that, or you'll lose
performance.

I've written a couple of workable templating systems myself with good
old $html =~ s///egs and a content handler (as a perl developers rite of
passage don't ya know) and I wouldn't recommend it because you end up
with something non-standard, and are basically re-inventing template
toolkit which seems to have become the standard in templating over the
last coupla years.

Old, but still useful benchmarks if you're interested:
http://www.chamas.com/bench/

mark.

--
Mark Maunder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>