>I installed libapreq1.2 on a server the normal way (perl
>Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install) and now my server
>refuses to run Apache::Cookie or Apache::Request.
>
>It complains of
>
>[Sun Aug  3 18:09:29 2003] [error] Can't load
>'/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-
>linux/auto/Apache/Cookie/Cookie.so' for module Apache::Cookie:
>libapreq.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
>directory at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 206.
>at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/mod_perl.pm line 14
>
>What puzzles me is that it this worked perfectly on another near
>identical machine.
>
>Why does it want .so files? I thought that happened only if you
>installed it using the ./configure method, which I didnt.

I looked and I had files all over the place in my perl library tree, in Apache,
libapreq, Apache/Cookie, Apache/Request, Apache/libapreq etc etc
I reckon I had several versions in parallel and Dynaloader mixed and matched as it
pleased.

So I deleted all those Cookie.pm, Cookie.so, Request.pm, Request.so etc. etc. and
reinstalled libapreq 1.0
My server works again so the panic is gone.

The question remains: what did i naively do wrong the first time?

Thanks