Hello there,

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Hodge, Jeff F (ECIII) wrote:

> Here's how I installed mod_perl/apache:
>
> cd apache_1.3.28
> ./configure --enable-module=so
> cd mod_perl_1.28

I don't like the look of that.  Please send *exactly* what you did.
Have you got the mod_perl directory inside the apache directory?
Your directories should be somethign like this:

/dloads/apache_mod_perl/apache_1.3.28/
/dloads/apache_mod_perl/mod_perl-1.28/

> perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC= /dloads/apache_mod_perl/apache_1.3.28/src
> DO_HTTPD=1 USE_APACI=1 EVERYTHING=1 APACHE_PREFIX=/usr/local/httpd_perl
> make && make test && make install

What is the user that's running this?  Don't do the first three steps
as root, only do the 'make install' as root:

% perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC= /dloads/apache_mod_perl/apache_1.3.28/src \
 DO_HTTPD=1 USE_APACI=1 EVERYTHING=1 APACHE_PREFIX=/usr/local/httpd_perl
% make
% make test
% su
Password:
# make install
# exit
%

That backslash on the first line is important.  If you've done
everything as root and if you have the mod_perl directory inside the
apache one, then it's best to remove the directories and start again.

> So using Cpan I tried to install the Bundle::Apache...which bombs out

Don't worry about it for now, you don't need it for your mod_perl Apache.

> ALSO here is perl -V
>
> Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 0) configuration:
> [snip]
>     ccversion='', gccversion='2.95.3 20010315 (SuSE)',
> [snip]
>     gnulibc_version='2.2.5'
> [snip]
> Characteristics of this binary (from libperl):
>   Compile-time options: USE_LARGE_FILES
>   Built under linux
>   Compiled at Aug  2 2003 13:09:23
> [snip]

Looks like you compiled this Perl yourself using gcc 2.95.3 a couple
of days ago, is that right?  Did the Perl tests all pass OK?

73,
Ged.