Ged Haywood wrote:
Hi there,

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Mustafa Tan wrote:

script's name is A, and I execute the same script 20
times subsequently there is no problem. But if I
execute B after A, and then execute A again, then I
have a problem and the problem is that there is a
socket error. This happens only on Windows machines. I
learnt that this is a common problem and that it is
because of threads. Making number of threads on apache
1 solves the problem

I doubt this has anything to do with threads, because they are serialized in mod_perl 1.0 on windows. Do you use mod_perl 2.0?

Most likely your problem is the usual one: global variables persist under mod_perl and you have to reset them before using. For more information see:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#Global_Variables_Persistence

In any case when reporting problems you should at least copy-n-paste the exact error. And follow the guidelines:
mp1: http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/help.html#How_to_Report_Problems
mp2: http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/help/help.html#Reporting_Problems

Sorry I know prcatically nothing about running Apache on Windows.
Seems strange to me that anyone would do it... :)

This is correct for mod_perl 1.0, because threads are serialized to make things thread-safe.

But this is no longer valid for mod_perl 2.0. mod_perl 2.0 on windows should be "as good as" on any other system.

Ok, here is the real question. Should I move to 5.8
and if I should, what are the general issues that I
have to be careful about. One more thing is that, can
I run perl 5.8 with mod_perl 1.0? Is that possible, or
do I also have to move to mod_perl 2 and apache 2?

You can run 5.8.x with mod_perl 1.x, the issue you will most likely
meet involves character encoding.  Check the archives of this List
for more information.  Look for "UTF-8" and/or "locale".

This is correct only for several RedHat linux versions. it should be fixed in RH9.1:
http://archive.develooper.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg97360.html

Version 2 of Apache/mod_perl might enable you to address some of your
threading problems on Windows, hopefully others will be able to tell
you more than I can.

73,
Ged.

--

__________________________________________________________________ Stas Bekman JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide ---> http://perl.apache.org mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com http://modperlbook.org http://apache.org http://ticketmaster.com