e-mol Development Team wrote:
After some thinking time I decided to compile perl 5.8.0 on the older system
that did have 5.6.1.  It would seem it has nothing to do with perl 5.8.0.  I
compiled perl 5.8.0 on the older system and preloading worked just like it should.

Now I know that it does not have anything to do with perl or mod_perl but
rather the newer gcc and glibc on the newer system.

New system:
gcc-3.2.2
glibc-2.3.2

Old system
glibc-2.2.4
gcc-2.96

Has anyone else had problems with gcc-3.2.2 or glibc-2.3.2 and shared memory?

Ask at the glibc list? or may be p5p, as there are quite a few knowledgeable folks over there...

Next I am going to try perl 5.8.1 snapshot to see what happens.

Probably nothing will change on the sharing front, but you will get a better perl ;)