> I'm afraid that is not a very good article.  It's out of date,
> Apache::Session::DBI (which is what the article refers to) is ancient
> and should not be used.

I stumbled upon this problem quite a few times. Trying to get the hang
of using cookies for authentication and sessions there are tons of
modules and (a bit less...) articles, but they all seem outdated or
simply not useful. So I build something myself, but am not quite sure
this was the way to go.
I had the same experience when (OT, sorry) I looked into things about
using XML in combination with (mod_)perl. Most of the articles are rather
old and I have no clue if they are outdated. Here as well I made some
choices of my own, still thinking I am at least reinventing part of the
wheel.

Is there a, or are there initiatives to keep an 'accurate' document
repository? I personally like perl.apache.org as a starting point, but
it is quite restricted to mod_perl and mod_perl alone. (This is not
meant as a rude remark!). Should and could this be broader containing
links to interesting articles on 'well known subjects'? Should we then
need som (continuous) reviewing and rating mechanism to separate the
good from the bad? Or is Google still the way to go?

--Frank

PS: Apache::Session::DBI might be ancient, when I did some research for
this mail I stumbled upon
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/snippets.html#An_example_of_using_Apac
he__Session__DBI_with_cookies. Perhaps it is a good beginning to try to
keep/get outdated and ancient stuff from Our Main Source of Information?