Hi there,

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Tobias Kremer wrote:

> I have developed an application based on Apache 1.3.27,
> mod_perl 1.27, Postgres 7.3.2, Class::DBI 0.94 (utilizes
> Ima::DBI) on SuSE Linux 7.0 with a 2.4.20 kernel.
>
> The problem is that everytime more than one request at
> a time is made to the server I find the following error message
> in my logs and from then on apache seems to be stalled and is
> unable to process any further requests:
> "message type 0x49 arrived from server while idle"
>
> Nobody seems to have seen this error message before (I grep'd
> through my perl lib dir and found nothing).

I think it's from Postgres, not Perl.  Try Googling for

"message type" "arrived from server while idle"

> It seems to have got something to do with many apache children
> accessing the postgres database

I'm sure that's right, I think you're confusing Postgres somehow.
There are suspicions about threads in some of the messages that Google
found with the query above.  I've never used Postgres so I wouldn't
know where to point you, but have you checked the Postgres docs for
that message?  There are a few references such as this

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/pgsql/src/interfaces/libpq/fe-protocol3.c

fairly late on in the Google results.

> The solution David and others found is not applicable to my problem
> because I'm already running apache 1.3.27 (not 1.3.28 which seems to
> be causing this trouble)

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.  At the beginning
of your message it looked like you were using 1.3.27, not 1.3.28.
Are you saying that the problem is present with a 1.3.27 Apache but
not with 1.3.28?  If so then could you not simply stay with 1.3.27?

73,
Ged.