I have developed an application based on Apache 1.3.27,
mod_perl 1.27, Postgres 7.3.2, Class::DBI 0.94 (utilizes
Ima::DBI) on SuSE Linux 7.0 with a 2.4.20 kernel.

I already posted my problem to the Class::DBI userlist
but unfortunately didn't get any answers yet so I'm trying
my luck here hoping that somebody can help.

The problem described below is very similar to the one
posted by David Wheeler (of bricolage fame) some time ago
(Topic "mod_perl + Apache 1.3.28",
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=75733;search_string=0x49;guest=1213631&t=search_engine#75733)

Here we go:
The problem is that everytime more than one request at
a time is made to the server I find the following error message
in my logs and from then on apache seems to be stalled and is
unable to process any further requests:
"message type 0x49 arrived from server while idle"

Nobody seems to have seen this error message before (I grep'd
through my perl lib dir and found nothing).

It seems to have got something to do with many apache children
accessing the postgres database (I'm using Apache::DBI but also
tried without it) because the problems are completely gone when
starting apache in single-process mode.

I'm really stuck with this problem and have absolutely no clue
where to look. I tried building some stripped-down scripts to
reproduce the error in a smaller environment but strangely that
always worked.

I'd be very grateful if somebody here could share some ideas on
this. The solution David and others found is not applicable to
my problem because I'm already running apache 1.3.27 (not 1.3.28
which seems to be causing this trouble)

Thank you very much in advance!

--
Cheers,