Stas Bekman wrote:
Joachim Feise wrote:

Hi,

on my Linux system (Slackware 9.0) Apache segfaults in mod_perl as soon as it
receives the first request.
This started after I upgraded to Perl 5.8.1 (from 5.6.0).
The Apache version is 1.3.28, mod_perl 1.29.
I appreciate any help.

Joachim, Your report is almost perfect. but you need to send in a *short* script/handler that we can reproduce the problem with. Without it we can't help you.

Well, the segfault happens even if I just point the browser to http://localhost/ htdocs/index.html is the default Apache index.html. No Perl code in there.

Anyway, here is the setup.
From my httpd.conf:
# mod_perl stuff
<IfModule mod_perl.c>
    Include conf/perl.conf
</IfModule>

The perl.conf and the scripts are pretty much right out of the modperl book.
perl.conf:
PerlFreshRestart On

# Run Perl CGI scripts in the server process using mod_perl
Alias /perl/ /home/www/perl/
<Location /perl>
  SetHandler perl-script
  PerlHandler Apache::Registry
  PerlSendHeader On
  Options +ExecCGI
</Location>

# Hello World example
<Location /hello/world>
  SetHandler perl-script
  PerlHandler Apache::Hello
</Location>

perl/hello.pl:
#!/usr/bin/perl
# file: hello.pl

print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";

print <<END;
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Hello There</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<H1>Hello $ENV{REMOTE_HOST}</H1>
Who would take the book "Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C" seriously
if the first example didn't say "Hello World"?
</BODY>
</HTML>
END