Eric Sammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'd rather not paint myself into the proverbial corner if
> Apache::Request->instance() is being deprecated.

There are no plans whatsoever to deprecate instance() from
the Apache::Request 1.X that comes in the libapreq-1.X package.
The APIs for 1.X are stable, and very unlikely to change at
all.

However, the 2.X line is a completely different implementation
targeted for a different server architecture (apache 2).  It's
unlikely that modules written for Apache::Request 1.X
will be 100% source-compatible with Apache::Request 2.X. The
1.X and 2.X lines should be considered parallel versions, since
that is how they are being maintained and developed.

> Obviously, this is MP1.x, Apache 1.3.x (on Gentoo Linux, for
> those interested).

For Apache2, Apache::Request->new will always reference the
appropriate per-request data; instance() isn't needed there,
so it won't be included in the 2.X releases.

--
Joe Schaefer