Joe Schaefer wrote:
There are no plans whatsoever to deprecate instance() from the Apache::Request 1.X that comes in the libapreq-1.X package. The APIs for 1.X are stable, and very unlikely to change at all.

I wasn't so much thinking about the API changing within the 1.x branch so much as being so conceptually different between MP1 and MP2 versions that I would need to restructure in some great way. The work I'm doing now is still primarily with MP1 and while I'm not quite ready to go MP2, I don't want to have to worry about the overall structure and / or architecture falling apart when I do.

However, the 2.X line is a completely different implementation
targeted for a different server architecture (apache 2). It's
unlikely that modules written for Apache::Request 1.X will be 100% source-compatible with Apache::Request 2.X. The
1.X and 2.X lines should be considered parallel versions, since
that is how they are being maintained and developed.

I certainly wouldn't expect source compatibility between major versions. Like I said, it was more a concern about architecture of the request object abstraction I wrote for this project.

For Apache2, Apache::Request->new will always reference the appropriate per-request data; instance() isn't needed there,
so it won't be included in the 2.X releases.

That's pretty much what I was looking for. I just wanted to know that there will be a common and reliable way to get a copy of the current request object between request phases or parts of the system without trying to pass around the same $r all over the place (messy as hell).

I really appreciate the quick answers from both you and Stas.
Thanks again.
--
Eric Sammer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]