Hi All.

I've had a search through the archives, and can't seem to find anything
relevant.  Pointers would be welcome.

I've got a Mandrake linux 8.1 system (yeah, old), from which I've
removed the provided apache 1.3.20 setup.

So, I'm starting from scratch.  I downloaded apache 1.3.29, mod_perl
1.29, though I kept the perl 5.6.1 that I've already got.

I've made apache, and gotten it running just fine.  I shut it back down
again.

Now I try to build mod_perl.

perl Makefile.PL EVERYTHING=1
<computer trundles>
make
<computer trundles>
make test
<computer fails the tests because PerlTransHandler is not defined, so
the web server won't start.>

Hrm...okay...try it this way:
perl Makefile.PL PERL_LOG=1 PERL_LOG_API=1 PERL_SSI=1
<computer trundles>
make
<computer trundles>
make test
<computer passes all tests>

I install AxKit on top of mod_perl, and then when the web server starts
to load, it crashes with the message "Can't locate loadable object for
Apache::Log in @INC...".

I can find Log.pm in my library path, but no Log.so.  Further, I can't
see where Log.so is being built in mod_perl, as there's no .c file in
the Log subdirectory.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong here, but danged if I can tell what it
is.  Any clues?

-Ken