Strange. I did completely the same last week on my mdk-9.2 installation
and no problem.

Have you really used the perl Makefile.PL call I did? The mod_perl
Makefile.PL builds your apache automatically.

I'd suggest removing all files and starting once more. Simply put your
apache.tar.gz and mod_perl.tar.gz into the /tmp, unpackage both and make
the Makefile.PL-call like its mentionned in INSTALL.Simple and include
the option EVERYTHING=1.

Tom