> I hate to be a wet blanket, but that looks very wrong to me.
> Apache::PassHtml does not work with Apache::Filter, so you probably are
> not running Apache::SSI on these files at all.

Hi Perrin,

   You are, of course, right.  :)

   Apache::SSI was being used, but the Content-Type: wasn't being set.
   My browser (Opera) was just trying to be too smart.  After a little
   nap (hey, I've been spending a lot of hours on this) I looked at
   things a little more closely.  Why PassHtml was making it work with
   Opera is a mystery to me.

> The problem you were having with headers can be fixed by setting the
> content-type in your script, which is something you are supposed to do
> anyway in any web script.

   For some reason I'm losing my headers.  The script uses CGI.pm; here's
   the output if I run it on the commandline:

      Expires: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 04:32:14 GMT