If I may follow up --

I am curious why the feature is to be disabled in 2.x?  Not questioning
the judgement, but wondering if it was determined to not be a worthwhile
performance gain?  Or is it just too complex internally despite the gain?
I am always looking to squeeze the last bit of performace out of my
servers, and thought this was a cool little trick :)

Also, without any understanding of the internals, it seems to me there may
be a second problem: on subsequent requests the ref is still hanging
around (as shown in the original sample output I sent), even though both
the original scalar and the ref are lexically scoped.  One would think
they had been destroyed by then?  Any clue as to what causes that?  Is
this small leak meaningful enough to worry about?

In the meantime I'll prepare to stop using this feature!  Unless of course
you end up fixing it :)

Thanks,
Jonathan Field