----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Klausner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mod_perl caching/delay

> Hi!
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 03:34:39PM -0000, Simon McCaughey wrote:
>
> > This sounds to me like the kinds of problem we had migrating to
mod_perl. It
> > sounds like a global variable problem, we had the same kind of issues -
90%
> > of the time the app seemed to be behaving, but it really wasn't. We
ended up
> > refactoring a little code to remove all globals, and that fixed it.
> >

> You might want to read
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html
> especially "Sometimes it Works, Sometimes it Doesn't"

We did! - that's how we figured out what was going on. it works 100% now.
However that was just a 6 week prototype development, the mod_perl was just
an extra boost of speed - just because we could!

<rant>

8 months later and we are still "re-designing" it in a "production"
environment using java.
 - Prototype - perl, 2 developers, 6 weeks,  ~90% functionality, 40k lines
of code, full design docs
 - Real product - java, 8 developers, 8 months, 0% functionality, 0 lines of
code, some design docs

Personally I would use perl, but the management don't think its good enough.

</rant>

Simon.