Thanks again for the help but still no luck.
I set the TMPDIR environment variable manually and restarted apache but still can't get the upload file in my script and nothing's being written to the tmpdir. If there's anything else I can try please let me know but I may just end up having to use CGI.pm for uploads.

Joe Schaefer wrote:

At the moment, grepping Mason's source files for TEMP_DIR or TMPDIR is
probably the only solution. I don't think the current Apache::Request for mp2 exposes enough of the C API to be of any help to you.

If you're using glibc, the sledgehammer approach is to have the sysadmin set/export the TMPDIR environment variable prior to server startup, ie.

% TMPDIR=/path/to/my/tmpdir apachectl restart

This will override any TEMP_DIR settings coming from calls to
Apache::Request::new().