Hello all,

I'm new to the list, and I apologize if these questions seem too
elementary, but I did not seem to be able to find definitive answers
elsewhere.

I would like to start using mod_perl12, and I'm confident that I can
figure out how to get it up and running (with plenty of written
instruction), but I have one server to work with, and I'm nervous
about crashing it. At this point I am just looking for speed benefit
of mod_perl, so my configuration would be *very* simple.

1) Would I be making a big mistake in attempting this on a production
server? Rebooting could be done during slow periods, but is it
necessary to stop the server for an extended period in making the
installation? Actually the mod_perl module is already available as a
DSO, so it seems that it's just a matter of configuring httpd.conf and
a few other adjustments.

2) Would the mod_perl installation affect more than just the one
directory designated to run mod_perl scripts? IOW, would my other
scripts, now running in the cgi-bin, be affected in any way? I figured
on using an extension specific to mod_perl to try and avoid conflicts.

I am mostly working from the information in "MySQL and Perl for the
Web."

Many thanks,
Mark Richerzhagen