in additon to the suggestions made by thomas...

> 2) Would the mod_perl installation affect more than just the one
> directory designated to run mod_perl scripts? IOW, would my other
> scripts, now running in the cgi-bin, be affected in any way? I figured
> on using an extension specific to mod_perl to try and avoid conflicts.

in general, when mod_perl is properly set up, no, it will not conflict with
your existing mod_cgi scripts in your cgi-bin at all.

the disclaimer I would add is that mod_perl has the ability to affect the
entire server due to its very nature.  for instance, you may notice that
your httpd process size goes from around 1MB to 20MB (per-process :). so if
you consider production to be sacred (which I do), you're introducing a
far-reaching variable when installing mod_perl, which may cause production
issues if you are new to mod_perl and don't understand some of the trickier
issues.

> I am mostly working from the information in "MySQL and Perl for the
> Web."

you should really start with one of the books dedicated to mod_perl, as it
is there that you will find explanations from the people most familiar with
the technology.

http://perl.apache.org/docs/offsite/books.html

HTH

--Geoff