Richard F. Rebel wrote:
Hello,

Due to about 200,000 lines of legacy mod_perl code that is written for
MP1 and Apache::Request, In order to migrate to mod_perl2 app by app, we
have set up a reverse proxy on the same machines.

All mp2 apps run on the main ap2+mp2, any request for a legacy app is
proxied to localhost on port 8080 which is listened to by ap1+mp1.

This seems to be working just fine, except I notice that keepalives are
being kept between the two apache servers.

My question is, should this be the case?  We have keepalives disabled on
the externally accessible ap2+mp2 intentionally.  Is there any benefit
or detriment for using them between the two apaches?  I would think that
keepalives should be off so that the ap1 instances can be freed to
service another request while the reverse proxy is busy feeding slower
clients.

That seems to be the case for mod_proxy.

But if you use another proxy which knows how to multiplex connections then keepalive may boost the performance as you will save the overhead of creating the HTTP connections. i.e. the proxy should be able to suck the output of the server, and hand it a new request over keep-alive connection.
I'm not sure though which proxy servers know to handle that.

I remember Theo has mentioned that I think with some of the related to Spread (spread.org) products. But I don't remember which.