For what I'm doing the only performance hit is the stat() on every
module, which means disk access. That's 20 stats per request because
there are 20 modules. The 'touch' option  means only one stat instead of
20. Much better.

Moving slightly OT. Anyone know if the linux filesystem cache caches
directory information. I.e., does a stat by apache guarantee disk
access? Or only if the file info isn't in the OS cache. I know mysql
relies heavily on the OS filesytem cache. Does Apache get any benefit
from it?