On 20 Mar 2004, at 07:54, David Hodgkinson wrote:

On 20 Mar 2004, at 0:54, Lester Vecsey wrote:

I'm serving many web requests with an apache modperl handler, and I'm doing
lookups on a CDB_File within the handler, using 'tie' to open the cdb file
for every request that comes through. Is there a way to gain more
performance by somehow doing a tie/open just once when the apache servers
starts, and then again only when the cdb file changes, if needed?

Exactly what you just said. Open read-only though! You'll probably need a 'use vars' in startup.pl to make the handle global.

CDB's are read only anyway, so this shouldn't make a difference.

I'm not convinced this is a good place to look for performance gains though. The tie process for a cdb is just a file open.

Matt.