2) Note that your libapreq2 had been installed under Apache2. This scheme is used to isolate Apache2-specific code from Apache1 code. On my machine I do not have Apache1 and everything is installed w/o the Apache2 directory. The 'use Apache2 ();' directive prepends direcories in the @INC array with Apache2/ (I think). Maybe my Makefile.PL needs a 'use Apache2 ();' - but I am not sure what will happen during the make and make install.

Adding 'use Apache2 ();' to the Makefile.PL fixed the problem. Thanks!