Geoffrey Young wrote on 4/27/04, 1:56 PM:

 > > The main rationale I think is because of the restart, loading is twice
 > > as slow. So the more things you can postpone until after restart the
 > > faster your server will start.
 >
 > I suppose that's a consideration.  but I hate to not have
 > functionality just
 > because it takes the server a while to start.  for most production
 > environments, which are behind some kind of load-balancer, a slow
 > start or
 > restart really doesn't matter.  large, complex applications already
 > can take
 > minutes to start.

I can see how startup time (or restart time) could be important in many
situations. However, when running "apachectl configtest", aren't you
running a new httpd process, separate from the real server? In that case
startup time should not be critical - why not load the interpreter? When
doing a real server start (or restart), the code gets executed as
expected (without using the <Perl></Perl> force trigger), so when the
interpreter is loaded isn't an issue (as far as my original problem is
concerned). It is only with "configtest" do I see this behavior. Is it
that mod_perl cannot easily distinguish between a "normal" start and a
"test" start?

Thanks,

    --John