> The main rationale I think is because of the restart, loading is twice
> as slow. So the more things you can postpone until after restart the
> faster your server will start.

I suppose that's a consideration.  but I hate to not have functionality just
because it takes the server a while to start.  for most production
environments, which are behind some kind of load-balancer, a slow start or
restart really doesn't matter.  large, complex applications already can take
minutes to start.

> It should be very easy to match the mp1 behavior. You already suggested
> that an empty <Perl>\n<Perl> section will trigger an early startup.

that's really not an option.  if I create a module that relies on code
running during startup I don't want to say in the docs 'oh, and you have to
fake a <Perl> section to get the module working properly.'

> And
> we could introduce a special directive for that, to make it less
> hackish.

we've discussed this at length before:

after re-reading the entire thread, I'm pretty sure we are each on the same
side of the argument as we were then.  I know I am :)

--Geoff