James Moore claimed to have gotten it right:
http://groups.google.ch/groups?q=emacs+mod_perl&hl=en&lr=lang_en|lang_de&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=1051404465.5094
+85%40yasure&rnum=1

It partially works for me. The last part doesn't:
> James Moore wrote:
> Not elegant, but it does get you full functionality (or at least the only
> bit I cared about, the => pointer into your code buffer for the current line
> of execution).

Now for some answers:

> Doesn't Emacs just use the running perl debugger and redisplay it's output?
Yes, with a normal perl script this works, but I have to run
a binary (apache), and this spawns the perl5db.pl script.

> Does it do it by pid?
No, it parses the output of Apache::DB.

> Do you get some kind of error message from Emacs?
Emacs has a command M-x perldb, which only accepts
a perl script as argument. I can't pass a perl script,
because it's a binary. So I could not even ask emacs
to do anything, hence no error message.

In the mean time I used a fifo (with mkfifo)
and got the apache output into emacs, using |fifo.
Somehow gud refused to deal with this (I guess as
the pipe is only one-directional).

Another idea is to copy some of Devel::ptkdb and
make a Devel::emacs (name?) and use emacsclient.

cu
--
Pieter