On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 22:11, Brian Hirt wrote:
> I've been running across a problem lately where a child process
> terminates because of an out of memory error.   It prints Out of Memory
> once, the the process sucks up all available cpu print "Callback called
> exit." to the log file until it hit's it's 2GB max size.

I'm just guessing here, but this is probably because apache is trying to
spawn new processes, and they keep dying because there's no memory.

> => "See Perl's INSTALL document for this item:"
>
> This might have been true at one point.   Newer versions of perl 5.6
> and 5.8 have no reference to this option in the INSTALL document

There was discussion about this on PerlMonks:
http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=287850

The most informative quote was this one:
"$^M was an Ilya-thing, which he added in during his work on perl's
built-in memory allocation system. Nobody else ever really cared about
it so far as I remember from p5p, so it suffers some from both neglect
and unfinshedness. I remember in the 5.004/5.005 days that it used to
work, but I honestly don't remember how, nor whether it ever worked for
anyone other than Ilya."

- Perrin