Brian Hirt wrote:
I too followed the advice too, but it did nothing but lead my down the wrong path. The advice should be updated.

My point is that $^M does absolutely nothing unless you use perl's malloc, which isn't true for most common perl installations these days. compiling with PERL_EMERGENCY_SBRK doesn't help either because it's the default if you usemymalloc, and useless if you don't You MUST compile perl with "-Dusemymalloc=y". A simple grep in the perl hints directory shows that many popular systems such as linux, freebsd and openbsd default to the system malloc which disables the functionality of $^M.

I'd simply like to see the documentation updated, and I'm happy to do it. I know it would have saved me hours and hours of headaches. The documentation as it stands now is misleading.

of course if you use perl's malloc, the advice helps.

Doc patches are always welcome here. Please patch against the source pod. http://perl.apache.org/download/docs.html#Download

I'd still like to know why mod_perl can get into an infinite loop writtitng "Callback called exit". In perl.c, when that happens my_exit_jump(); is called which should presumably exit the process, but somehow that doesn't happen and some sort of infinite loop occurs outside of my code that fills the log of with gigibytes of 'Callback called exit' messages.

Normally that happens when perl gets its calls stack messed up and it starts to loop. I know I hit that myself while developing mp2 when I was trying to write my own version of die/exit/etc, which I quickly gave up. It is possible that there is a bug in perl, which gets triggered only in certain situations. If you can give p5p a reproducable case, I'm sure it'll be fixed.