[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>James G Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> For many applications, you are correct.  However, some situations
>> require support of the most basic systems.
>>
>> Part of the problem with XHTML is that it is a page description
>> language instead of a semantic markup language.  We need to be able
>> to support both screen displays as well as handhelds, phones, etc.,
>> that might not be able to use all the stuff we want in the richer
>> screen media.  Part of the other problem is that people writing with
>> XHTML will try to make the page appear as they want instead of
>> letting the stylesheet do it for them -- all the management in the
>> world can't change government workers.
>>
>> The other thing I was trying to avoid was drastic changes in markup
>> when there hasn't been a significant change in the semantics.  Forms
>> come to mind for this.  XHTML form elements are too closely tied to
>> presentation and not closely enough to the semantics.
>
>I am slowly moving my applications to XHTML. I did meet difficulties
>where a simply template tag in TT, H:T and Mason would be very hard to
>implement in XHTML. For example, the HTML form tags.
>Even <input...> would not be easy, not to mention <select...> --- just as
>in your exmaple. But finally, it looks I can always found a solution
>when I learned more about it. On the other hand, all these difficulties
>we are talking about exist in Java servlet too. My personal experience is
>that XHTML provides a larger set of variation than H:T, but less than TT.
>I understand that most existing applications need not be moved to
>XHTM --- which will be a huge job and the benifit gained would be little
>--- and my own major applications are still on top of H:T. But
>I like to experience a little more new things. Since we are here
>talking about PR of mod_perl, I'd like to propose the idea and
>to get you people's ideas.

I'm not sure I understand how XHTML can replace TT, H::T, or Mason.
Could you provide an example?  My understanding is that XHTML is just
an XML-ized version of HTML, so it retains all the form controls from
HTML; an <input> tag in HTML is just an <input/> element in XHTML.

>>We also can't depend on customers having modern browsers (and
>>sometimes fear that they do, in the case of IE 6).  We have customers
>>all over the globe that must be able to manage their account
>>information.  This also means that we don't use any scripting except
>>to make things easier -- everything has to work without scripting on
>>the client side.
>
>This is correct. But again, I think this could also be a reason why
>we prepare our page in two set of data: a XHTML template and
>dynamically-generated XML data. We can serve more XML based clients
>in the future.

I'm not sure I understand the reason for preparing a duplicate set
when one is sufficient.
--
James Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 979-862-3725
Texas A&M CIS Operating Systems Group, Unix