Chris Shiflett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Not to discourage any PHP bashing (I'll often join in), but a few things
>on your list aren't really that accurate:
>
>--- James G Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>   o No support for testing
>>   o No support for documentation
>>   o No way to declare variables / manage typos
>
>PHP has these particular things, although I agree with the rest of your
>list.

They weren't present in PHP 4 two years ago when I developed the
application and then started on the current project.

I haven't seen the equivalent of POD or Test::Harness in PHP.  It
might be part of PEAR, which was coming out about then and has had
time to mature a bit since then.

Right now, in Perl, I can embed my documentation and tests right next
to the code being documented and tested.  The tests themselves become
part of the documentation.  This also means I can write the
documentation and tests and then hand the file off to someone else
for implementation; they will have all the examples and explanations
they need (or the tests aren't complete) when they write the code. (I
will admit that even this is stetching the Perl support a bit and
required that I write some code myself which I have yet to release on
CPAN [trying to think of a suitable name atm]).

I haven't seen the equivalent of `use strict' either.  This would
have been a great help two or three years ago.

It is easy for me to be wrong about PHP because I have a lot more
experience with Perl than with PHP.  I probably won't retrofit my
older app with much, but I'll look around and see what I can find.

Looking through the PHP site:
  PHPUnit is available, first release was April, 2002.  First
  production release was mid-March, 2004.

  Didn't find anything for `embedded documentation'

  Didn't find anything that indicated I could choose to require
  variable declarations before referencing them.

The last one is something I would probably use immediately to clean
up some lingering issues with the current production application.
Please feel free to point me at URLs or drop hints on what I should
look for.  If nothing else, I can pass it along to others in my
department that are still doing active PHP development.
--
James Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 979-862-3725
Texas A&M CIS Operating Systems Group, Unix