Same problem here passing large strings in fields (hidden in my case).
POST_MAX set high (1000000 just to make sure).
The only major difference between Ken's stuff and mine seems to be his
threaded 5.8.0 Perl
versus my single threaded 5.8.3.

<snip>

*****CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*****
This e-mail and any files or attachments may contain confidential and
privileged information.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender at the above e-mail address and delete it and all copies
from your system.