Colin JN Breame wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with apache and mod_perl;
>
> The cgi-bin directory has many perl files in it.  All execute except
> index.pl which produces the browser Save As dialog.  The content of the
> file saved is the content of index.pl (not something else).
>
> However, if I rename the file to something other than index.pl (e.g.
> index1.pl), it executes as it should.

this definitely sounds like a mod_autoindex issue

> I've removed any DirectoryIndex directives.

try

  Options +ExecCGI -Indexes

or just

  Options ExecCGI

don't forget to restart apache so the configuration changes are applied :)

if that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas, save issuing a direct telnet request
to your server to see what is actually coming off the wire.  something like
this should do the trick:

$ telnet server.example.com 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to server.example.com (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /index.pl HTTP/1.1
Host: server.example.com

the last two lines are the ones you type, followed by two newlines.

HTH

--Geoff