the reason I'm asking is because the client is really more attuned to the java
hype/buzzwords that exists out there.  having done just a smattering of java, I
am somewhat at a loss as to tell them exactly why a perl solution is better.
this client does already have some investment in java, but no perl, so it is
probably more palatable to management to continue to invest in java.

the client is also quite concerned with scalability, but I am confident
that mod_perl will scale extremely well.