On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:45:59 -0400, Perrin Harkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 16:37, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > IMHO, that should be folded into DBI::Pool
>
> I'm not really interested in tackling pooling, since I don't plan to run
> threads.  All that I really want my module to do is extend the
> DBI->connect_cached() method by adding the cleanup handler stuff from
> Apache::DBI.

Even without threads, wouldn't you rather have each apache child pulling
connections from a shared, server-wide pool rather than holding onto at
least one connection a piece whether they need it or not?

With the Apache::DBI system on a typical db-backed web site, the max number
of simultaneous (mod_perl) requests is pretty much limited by the max number
of simultaneous open database connections (since, long term, every apache
child will be hanging onto at least one db connection).

A server-wide pool removes that limitation, allowing each request to retain,
use, and then release any number of connections (possibly zero) within the
course of a single request.

Maybe that'd lead to too much contention, I don't know, but I assumed
something like that was a long-term mod_perl2/apache2/perl6 goal.  Or maybe
it's just a personal fantasy... :)

-John