On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 17:05, John Siracusa wrote:
> Even without threads, wouldn't you rather have each apache child pulling
> connections from a shared, server-wide pool rather than holding onto at
> least one connection a piece whether they need it or not?

Sure.  Can you figure out a way to do it?  It is possible on unix
systems to pass filehandles between processes, but that kind of C
programming is not something I'm likely to tackle myself.

> With the Apache::DBI system on a typical db-backed web site, the max number
> of simultaneous (mod_perl) requests is pretty much limited by the max number
> of simultaneous open database connections (since, long term, every apache
> child will be hanging onto at least one db connection).

You actually have a site where you can run more apache children than
database connections?  I have never seen such a beast.  IMO the only
real advantage of having pooling over the way things are now (assuming
you run a front-end proxy for static stuff) is that sites which use
different database logins for each user will be able to use persistent
connections.  Right now, that would result in a very large number of
connections.

> Maybe that'd lead to too much contention, I don't know, but I assumed
> something like that was a long-term mod_perl2/apache2/perl6 goal.  Or maybe
> it's just a personal fantasy... :)

Perl6 would presumably mean mod_perl 3.  Anyway, the pooling thing is
mostly driven by how much Java people hype it.  The usefulness of
pooling is pretty limited for a site that actually uses database
connections on every request.

- Perrin