On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Craig Dayton wrote:

> Hi Randy,
>
> For the Windows 2000 Server system its running mod_perl/1.99_14, so this
> explains the missing file problem.  The current mod_perl will get built on
> this system.

Great - that should resolve that problem ...

> >I'm not sure what the problem is here - all of the Apache
> >references above use E:\ as the drive, which appears correct.
> >When you did the 'perl Makefile.PL', did a confirmation come
> >up asking you which Apache to use?  If so, was it the correct
> >one, including the drive letter?
>
> Yes & Yes.
>
> I tried 'perl Makefile.PL' and it found the correct Apache2 location and I
> responded 'yes' to the prompt. Also, I tried 'perl Makefile.PL
> --with-Apache2=E:/Apache2'.  In both cases its trying to find Apache on a
> another drive.  In the first instance, it was expecting Apache2 on drive Z:
> which was a valid network drive. After disconnecting the network drive Z:,
> the second attempt was expecting Apache to be on drive D: (CD-ROM).

I take it this is at the
   nmake test
stage? I can't see why it would be looking in different
drives at this point; it's already found Apache ...

> >> [  debug] can't figure out Apache revision, from string: '', using a
> >> non-existin g revision 0
>
> Its interesting that an empty string is referenced in the output above.
>

> >Do you have an Apache/TestConfigData.pm somewhere on your
> >system, either in the main Perl tree or under a .apache-test
> >directory under, eg, C:\ or E:\? If so, does it help if you
> >move it out of the way and run the tests again?
>
> No. TestConfigData.pm is only located at 'E:\Perl\site\lib\Apache\'.
> Looking at this module, I see the following:
>
> "$Apache::TestConfigData::vars = {'httpd' => '\Apache2\bin\Apache.EXE',};"
> I tried changing this to 'E:\Apache2\bin\Apache.EXE'.  This didn't help.

What if you tried moving this file completely away?

> I tried adding 'E:\Apache2\bin' to the Path environmental variable just see
> if that might help.
> It didn't.  The 'nmake test' is still failing for the same apparent reason
> of not being able to resolve Apache2's location.  Also, I find it
> interesting that apxs.bat failed its 3 query attempts too.
>
> Thanks, Craig

The problem with apxs.bat on Win32 is related to something
that changed recently in Apache-Test; I haven't been able to
trace why these warnings are arising ...

To try to eliminate one possibility, what happens if you
move $APACHE2\bin\apxs.bat somewhere outside of the PATH,
and then do
   nmake perl_glue
   nmake perl_test
That should work - it's only the
   nmake test
target that requires apxs.

Also, there's a file $APACHE2\build\config_vars.mak with
various settings used by apxs - for those that reference a
drive, is the letter correct?

--
best regards,
randy