On 17-Sep-04, at 4:55 PM, Stas Bekman wrote:

Geoffrey Young wrote:
Rici Lake wrote:
[...]
As a little bonus, it adds the

directive PerlUnsetVar
hmm... I guess this would be useful. but what does it do, unset the last
value (of multiple adds) or clear the table entry entirely? if the latter
maybe PerlResetVar or PerlClearVar instead? also, I'm not entirely sure
about ITERATE - maybe TAKE1 is better? others can weigh in, too :)

I'd rather not add new directives, but have:

PerlSetVar Foo

set the value to an empty value, which internally could be impelemented as: remove that table entry completely. We already use this technique in more than one place (e.g. set_handlers, add_handlers), so it'd be nice to be consistent.

That would be easy enough... The use case I had in mind for the ITERATE setting was:

# clear the environment
PerlUnSetVar secret1 secret2 secret3 thisOneAsWell

Although now that I think of it, unset within some scope only unsets directory variables; the server variables (if any) continue to exist. So maybe it's too confusing to be useful.

It could just get eliminated altogether, I don't care enough to make a case one way or the other. Just because something is easy to implement doesn't mean it's a good idea.

oh, and a new test for the new dorective much appreciated :)

seconded. any new features or bug fixes *must* come with a test reproducing the problem/exercising the new feature, *before* they will be committed. ah, and documented too if that's a new feature.

I'll see what I can do over the weekend, if anyone pops up on the list to say, "Great, what a cool feature."

R.