Hi everybody. I ran into a problem with Perl scripts stored in utf-8 and I
couldn't find the answer to it on the Internet or mailing lists. Please tell me
what I'm missing.

SYSTEM: Windows XP SP2, Active Perl 5.8.4.810, Apache 2.048, mod_perl 1.9912.

I need to run scripts stored in utf-8. Here is the code of a test SCRIPT:

use utf8;
binmode(STDOUT, ":raw:utf8");
print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";
print "hello";

I use the Windows' Notepad and save the file as utf-8. Everything works fine
while I run the script from the command line or through CGI without mod_perl.
PROBLEM: When I try to run the script using mod_perl, I get the following ERROR:

[error] 3320: ModPerl::PerlRun: Unrecognized character \xEF at
.../CGI-FOO/TEST.PL line 1.

Scripts stored in ANSI work fine with mod_perl, too.

httpd.conf:

LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl58.dll"
PerlSetEnv PATH "C:/Windows/System32;C:/Windows;C:/Perl;C:/Perl/Bin/"
PerlRequire "C:/Program files/Apache group/Apache2/conf/startup.pl"

Alias /cgi-foo/ "C:/shttps/cgi-foo/"
<Location /cgi-foo>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler ModPerl::PerlRun
    Options +ExecCGI -Indexes
    PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
    AllowOverride None
</Location>

startup.pl is reduced to:

use Apache2 ();
1;

but the longer version leads to the same results:

use Apache2 ();
use ModPerl::Util ();
use Apache::RequestRec ();
use Apache::RequestIO ();
use Apache::RequestUtil ();
use Apache::Server ();
use Apache::ServerUtil ();
use Apache::Connection ();
use Apache::Log ();
use Apache::Const -compile => ':common';
use APR::Const -compile => ':common';
use APR::Table ();
use Apache::compat ();
#use ModPerl::Registry ();

use CGI ();
use DBI ();
use DBD::mysql ();
1;

It seems as if mod_perl doesn't recognize the format of the script file
correctly. Any tips why this may occur? Thanks a bundle in advance!

Igor K

  • ... Игорь Кудашев
    • ... Markus Wichitill
      • ... Игорь Кудашев