Disclaimer: the following is all "to the best of my knowledge".
Take it for what it's worth.

On 8-Nov-04, at 9:27 AM, Martin Moss wrote:

so therefore I wonder if I can use this,
e.g. map my session_id to a UUID, and then when I
check the session is valid I crosscheck this, however
I'm not sure if I can get the UUID over a non-SSL
connection.

Assuming you're talking about the SSL session-id, that is only available over an SSL connection. Even with SSL connections, there is actually nothing stopping the client from opening more than one SSL connection and therefore having more than one SSL connection-id. So that seems to me like a dead end.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to want to uniquely
identify a computer that comes to my site, without
blindly trusting cookies, but I'm at a loss of how to
find anything better than ipaddress to session cookie
mapping. (which is kinda pointless for Natted
addresses I know).

It is very hard to trust anything that comes in over a non-ssl connection. If you are concerned about security, I'd recommend using ssl consistently throughout the session. This will at least deal with the case where cookies are stolen by monitoring the connection (assuming you've taken adequate care to avoid man-in-the-middle attacks).

Stealing a session cookie from the client's cookie jar is
harder to protect against. On the other hand, it is perhaps
not so easy to do. One might think that a security-conscious
browser would not commit session cookies to disk, but I
don't know which (if any) browsers do this (and in any event,
it may be possible to snatch them out of memory, or through
some XSS hack.)

All the same, session cookies with SSL are a reasonably secure
mechanism; "good enough" unless you are running a site which
requires a very high degree of security. In the latter case,
you probably want to investigate client SSL certificates and/or
other high-grade security solutions.