Thanks everyone. You've done a good job of assuring me
that I haven't missed the whole point of the way these
things work.

There's been some really useful ideas, suggested and
I'm going to have a think about which, if any, are
worth implementing.

Ultimitely I'm upgrading our site from normal Basic
authentication, which sends username and password
unencrypted anyway, so compared to that the security
upgrade is still a big increase!

Marty