> I'd like the option argument, because I'm sure people will run into this
> many times.

well, as we're starting to discuss over on dev@, I'm not really in favor of
an optional argument.  if you know that you need to pass the additional
argument, then you know enough to make the APR::Finfo::stat() call yourself
- the reasons for needing to call stat() are (now) documented, so I'd much
rather not be doing any magic behind the scenes that can't be handled by the
existing API.  it was actually this issue that prompted me to open up the
finfo api in the first place, to prevent the need for behind the scenes magic.

what _does_ need to happen, though, is for Apache::compat to redefine
filename() so that it behaves like mp1 did.  I just don't have the tuits at
the moment.

--Geoff