On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Joe Schaefer wrote:
> > Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >

> >>Please test this package: http://apache.org/~stas/libapreq-1.33.tar.gz
> >>(Apache::Request for mod_perl 1.x) and report any problems here.
> >

> > Builds fine for me on debian woody.  However the CPAN
> > dependencies for Apache::Test (a listed prereq) are
> > currently b0rked, because CPAN thinks mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1
> > provides it:
> >
> >   % perl -MCPAN -e shell
> >   i /Apache::Test/
> >   Module          Apache::Test    (G/GO/GOZER/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1.tar.gz)
>
> *Sigh* This is another PAUSE issue. PAUSE needs to read META.yaml in both
> packages (mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1.tar.gz and Apache-Test-1.18.tar.gz) and see
> that Apache-Test is the real package and index it and not the one coming
> bundled with mp2. This was discussed on p5p but I'm not sure if was
> implemented (I could be wrong). Anybody knows who is in charge of
> META.yaml spec nowadays and where is the latest version? and whether PAUSE
> supports the new feature?

I'm not sure if PAUSE supports the new feature in META.yml
(specifying something as private, not to be indexed).
However, the mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1 package on a CPAN mirror
doesn't have a mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1.meta file, which if I
understand correctly, PAUSE automatically extracts from a
distribution if it finds a META.yml file within the
distribution (like it does for README, creating
mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1.readme, which does exist). So maybe PAUSE
never saw the META.yml file under mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1 for
some reason?

Even if it did, however, I'm not sure it would solve
this problem, as the full META.yml may not be implemented
yet by PAUSE. Some quick fixes are messy, and not
that maintainable:
- release an Apache-Test with a version newer than that
of mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1;
- place Apache-Test of the mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1 under a
directory (eg, t/) that PAUSE already ignores;
- have the owners of Apache-Test and mod_perl
non-overlapping, so that someone who owns mod_perl doesn't
have permission to include an indexable Apache-Test (of
course, it still gets uploaded, but PAUSE will refuse to
index the Apache-Test part);
- don't include Apache-Test with mod_perl, but rather
make it a prerequisite;

--
best regards,
randy