David Wheeler wrote:

why Apache::TestMB? It should be ModPerl::MB when it'll appear, right?

Up to you. I used it as an example because I don't really understand how Apache::TestMM and ModPerl::MM interact.

Apache::TestMM is only needed only to add 'make test' and adjust 'make clean' targets.

why the fallback for Module::Build? Shouldn't it just die then?

No, because if you're installing from CPAN.pm, it should install Apache::Test.

Well, we talk about ModPerl::MB, which will already be there if the modperl2 (version, let's say it's added in 1.99_20) is satisfied.

I think. The build_class parameter is actually a much better choice, since you won't have to worry about that at all. Again, that should be in 0.27 of M::B (not sure of a due date).

what if none exists, should Module::Install be used to require Module::Build?

No idea. I've never used Module::Install. You'll have to ask autrijus.

OK

when will that be released? I guess I need to require that version then.

Ask Ken.

So the only remaining part is to override Module::Build to place modules under Apache2/ if mp2 was built this way. Could you post an override that unconditionally overrides that and I'll adjust it to figure it out dynamically?

Uh....might be tricky. There's been a lot of debate about install paths on the Module-Build list lately. I'd ask there. The install paths are set up by the _set_install_paths() method in Module::Build::Base.

http://search.cpan.org/src/KWILLIAMS/Module-Build-0.2607/lib/Module/ Build/Base.pm

So, are you sure we should even start on that effort then? If things are not stable, I'd rather wait till they are stabilized.