Joe Schaefer said:
>> Sure they do, when they change the API significantly: SQLite2, Gtk2,
>> libxml2.  Separate API, manpages, headers, etc.
>
> Not quite.  There's a difference between appending a version number
> to library name, and embedding a version number in the function names.
> The former is standard practice nowadays because we distribute our C
> libraries to other developers, and telling a C compiler which API
> you want to compile against can be a royal PITA without
> versioning both the soname and INC path.
>
> The latter is what symbol versioning solves, which works fine when
> you're distributing to end-users only.  But nobody sane mangles C
> function names by actually embedding version numbers in them; the
> linker's toolchain is expected to work that out (with a few hints
> here and there).

Are you saying that using names like "Apache5::" would be a problem
because of calls to class methods?  In most cases, the OO interface hides
that from users after they use a specific module, but it certainly could
get ugly if modules need to call Apache2::Foo->bar() or
Apache2_2::Foo->bar().

- Perrin