Stas Bekman wrote:

that normally means that you have libperl.so in /usr/lib and it's not the
one used by the perl you've built mod_perl with. Please post the output of

  ldd /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_perl.so

and if you have libperl.so in /usr/local/lib and /usr/lib. if you have both, that's your problem. e.g. see:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/troubleshooting.html#_relocation_errors__or__undefined_symbol_

Ok - I finally solved the mystery.
I had only one single libperl.so on my system in /usr/local/lib and even this one was too much.

Using ldd I discovered that my new failing mod_perl.so was linked against this libperl.so while my old working mod_perl.so wasnt linked against any libperl.so. So I removed this libperl.so and compiled mod_perl from the scratch and everything was going fine.

So it was a leftover from a old system. Digging a bit deeper showed that it was left behind by my good old perl5.6.1 :)

I still dont understand why my new perl5.8.5 does not have a libperl.so and why mod_perl can live very well without it. But sometimes even one is too much :)

Thnx to all for helping me out here, peter

ps: and thnx plus a nice weekend to geoffrey if he is still reading here :)

-- mag. peter pilsl goldfisch.at IT-management tel +43 699 1 3574035 fax +43 699 4 3574035 [EMAIL PROTECTED]