I'd cite the fact that places like Google use compression for almost
all serving. A lot of people don't know that compression is wide-spread
among the big sites.

Yes Dan, you are right regarding the Google, however to date Google and
Yahoo are rather exceptions than the rule for the content delivery over
the web. It is estimated recently that only some 6% of the top 1000
businesses are compressing their web data when possible. The most common
misunderstanding among the IT managers is that it is impossible (or very
difficult at least) to compress the dynamically generated content. They
used to choose the dynamic content as an alternative to the compressed
one. I want them to know that they can happily benefit from both of
these goodies, using OS and/or commercial software (and support) when
necessary/appropriate.

But you need to "hook" them. The fact that Google uses compression automatically dispels the reasons people might not find your session interesting: "compression is not generally compatible with most web browsers", "nobody is using compression", etc. My suggestion is that you use the fact that some of the top sites do use it successfully to create interest. I'd put that right in your session description. To emphasize what Stas said, you need to advertise what you are doing. That includes hooking their interest with the information that says, "the best know something that the rest of you don't", rather than "only 6% of you are using compression", to which anybody can draw their own incorrect conclusions. :-)