Funny you should ask this - I got into a big discussion with Greg Whalin last week about this - the solution we use at Primedia is a BigIP, which is of course the expensive approach. Greg made the point that you can build a BigIP pretty easily, the only difference is the lack of fancy GUI-driven tools.

If you want, I can dig up more information on this.

        --pete