William McKee wrote:
2) if you build a static mod_perl, it'll configure and make Apache for you.

Ahh, so I don't even need to configure Apache if I'm building a static
mod_perl. I've amended the install.pod to indicate as much.

Thanks, William. I've committed an extended version of your patch but at the beginning of that section. Please let me know if it needs more work.

You should not run it *from under /root directory or similar*, but as long as you run from somewhere where non-root user can access files (e.g. /tmp), running as 'root' should work just fine.

I see the difference now. I was installing from /usr/local/src so that test should have worked.

I believe the error message should have explained that in first place. If it's not clear enough (which is most likely the case, if you did read it), you know what to do :)