I felt that for a moment too, then I read up online and saw Stas and the other core developers thoughts as Perrin highlighted below. I'm sure there could have been a million and one ways to delay the change... but they had a real imperative to do it as RC5.

Not to mention -- I'm really glad that we have this all over with, and we have all the new, more logical functionality, now -- as opposed to months or releases down the line. As painful as the impact was, i think the benefits more than make up for it.

Thanks, RC5 Developers.